An autism college program can help prepare young adults with autism or learning differences for success in college and beyond. The Transitions college program includes support for everything from choosing the right college courses to refining social skills and other important skills for independent living.
All students in the Transitions high-functioning autism college readiness program enroll in a one-credit college course in career exploration and success each semester to help ensure every student is on the right path.
Why Choose Transitions Autism College Program
Students can elect to enroll at Transitions while simultaneously attending Fulton-Montgomery Community College (FMCC). The Transitions partnership with FMCC helps students maintain a robust academic life where they are properly supported every step of the way. Through FMCC, students can complete a certificate program, a two or four-year degree program, or an individually designed program in majors such as Business Administration, Computer Information Systems, Criminal Justice, Culinary Arts, Early Childhood Education, Engineering, and Fine Arts.
FMCC also offers an Individual Studies certificate and a degree program called Collaborative Career Learning (COCAL), which combines classroom learning, professional mentorship, and hands-on workplace experience that is tailored to each student’s specific career goals.
How to Apply to Transitions
Students and parents looking for a supportive environment to help students learn independent living skills and prepare them for college life may want to learn more about applying to Transitions. The application process starts with reaching out to us. Prospective applicants can request information for themselves or their child and start the application process. If there is a good match, we will schedule an interview with an advisor and arrange a campus tour before applicants decide to submit a formal application.
FMCC at a Glance
- 2,800 students
- 58% female/42% male
- 64% full-time/36% part-time
- Average age: 23
- Over 40 degree and certificate programs
- 22:1 student/teacher ratio
- NJAA Div. III sports
- Over 100 transfer agreements
For more information, call us at (518) 661-6617.
- Assess students’ academic skills and interests
- Help students develop personalized academic success plans
- Assist with the application process and liaise with the college on the students’ behalf
- Provide group and individual study halls
- Support students in selecting and registering for classes, following course syllabi, prioritizing assignments and managing time effectively
- Explore career options based on strengths and interests
- Teach social cues and development of professional relationships
- Online degree programs
- SUNY Cobleskill, through a 2+2 dual admission program with FMCC
- College of St. Rose, through 2+2 dual admission program with FMCC
- Dozens of other colleges and universities through transfer agreements with FMCC
Transitions helps prepare young adults with learning
differences for the workplace.
- Assess students’ career skills and interests
- Liaise with supervisors
- Help students secure a job
- Provide individualized career counseling
- Coach students at their internship or job site
- Help students construct personalized career development plans
- Train students in resume preparation, job searching, dressing for success, work ethics and behavior, interviewing, writing, communication and leadership
Companies That Have Hosted Transitions Internships
- Avanti Control Systems
- Chartwells Schools Dining Services
- Coldwell Banker Arlene M. Sitterly
- Greenscapes Landscaping
- Herba Tree Farm
- Chrissy’s Greenhouse
- Price Chopper Bakery
- Kingsboro Catering
- FMCC Library
- Bark n’ Play
- TJ Maxx
- Fulton County Tax Dept.
- Johnstown School District
- Warsaw Dog Training
- Goderie’s Tree Farm
- PTECH (Pathways in Technology)
- Paul Nigra Center for Creative Arts
- Smiling Faces Daycare
- Lexington IT Department
- Human Resources
- Public Relations
- Nursing Services
- Finance interns
- Teaching assistants